The Goldfinch-Donna Tartt


(Source: Purchased)

Summary:
It begins with a boy. Theo Decker, a thirteen-year-old New Yorker, miraculously survives an accident that kills his mother. Abandoned by his father, Theo is taken in by the family of a wealthy friend. Bewildered by his strange new home on Park Avenue, disturbed by schoolmates who don't know how to talk to him, and tormented above all by his unbearable longing for his mother, he clings to one thing that reminds him of her: a small, mysteriously captivating painting that ultimately draws Theo into the underworld of art.

As an adult, Theo moves silkily between the drawing rooms of the rich and the dusty labyrinth of an antiques store where he works. He is alienated and in love-and at the center of a narrowing, ever more dangerous circle.

The Goldfinch combines vivid characters, mesmerizing language, and suspense, while plumbing with a philosopher's calm the deepest mysteries of love, identity, and art. It is an old-fashioned story of loss and obsession, survival and self-invention, and the ruthless machinations of fate.
 

Summary from goodreads.com

My Review:
With close to 800 pages, the size of a small textbook, and the fact that I had never even heard of the author, I was more than pleasantly surprised when I picked up this little gem in the sale section at Barnes and Nobel. I can’t explain it. It just called out to me!

 Now, I don’t read with a very critical eye, at this point, so I found myself completely consumed by the characters, their struggles and shenanigans, the references to the beautiful artwork, and the need to find out what path Theo’s life would take chapter by chapter. Most of the book is written in a first person perspective with a few chapters narrated by others just to give the reader a reference of what went on when Theo wasn’t around.

For me, this book exemplifies how resilient human beings are. How we are formed and molded by our surroundings and have the ability to adapt to any situation. Although at times I felt sorry for him, Theo managed to create the family that he never had and find success, although at times, temporary. It sort of gave me a feeling of relief. That no matter what happens, things work out. We all have a story, we just need to enjoy it and watch it unfold.

The thing I loved most about this book were the detailed descriptions of the artwork and classic furniture pieces. I found myself researching them all, to get a glimpse of what I had never been exposed to prior to reading this book; Edouard Manet, Carel Fabritius, and Frans Hals and the beautiful Sheraton, Chippendale, and Hepplewhite style furnishings.


I can say, without a doubt, this is one of my favorite books!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17333223-the-goldfinch?from_search=true

Comments

Popular Posts